A domain name is the website name. A domain name is an address where Internet users can access the website. It is used for finding and identifying computers on the Internet. Computers use IP addresses, which are a series of number.
A domain name may represent entire collections of resources or individual. Individual Internet host computers use domain names as host identifiers, also called hostnames. The term hostname is also used for the leaf labels in the domain name system, usually without further subordinate domain namespace. Hostnames appear as a component in Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) for Internet resources such as websites
For example en.wikipedia.oThe advantage
age of choosing a right domain name helps to develop brand recognition. Business can increase the number of website visitors by picking a good domain name. Not only the domain name, but the domain name extension also plays an important role. The extension you choose needs to be well-familiar with all the people over the internet. TLD (top-level domain) is nothing but the domain name extension which generally appears at the end of the domain name.
Major TLD’S used are:
Reasons for domain name failure:
Many times, domain names fail because they may appear to be offensive, inappropriate and vague. They may be unattractive due to which the viewers fail to notice it. Sometimes the names might be similar due to which the viewers may get confused and tend to overlook the site.
Dos and don’ts for choosing domain name:
- Short names are often best because they reduce the chances for misspellings and a potential visitor’s forgetting the correct name.
- Avoid plurals, hyphens, and abbreviations unless they are part of your brand name or the correct spelling of a word.
- The domain name should be easy to communicate verbally. The best choice is one you can tell a person you meet on the street and they will be able to remember it when they get home without writing it down.
- A domain name should include your brand name and/or keywords that make your product easier for customers to find. Rather than a non-descriptive name like jonesbrothers.com, a better choice might be jonesbrotherssaddles.com
Examples of domain name fail:
- com (its crap)
- com (American scrap metal)
- com (Choose Spain)
- co.uk (Children’s Wear)
- org (Teachers Talking)
- com (MP3s Hits)