Web hosting is a type of internet hosting service, it helps individuals and organizations to make their website accessible to everyone through World Wide Web. Web hosts are the companies that provide space on server, owned by the client or leased for use by client. Not all companies have the budget or expertise to do this. So web hosting services started providing necessary technology and infrastructure to operate the website.
Let us see some types of hosting services, hosting services can be divided as smaller hosting service and larger hosting service. Smaller hosting services are many times offered free of cost by many hosting service provider companies. The services given are also limited compared to paid hosting service and many time backed up by advertisements. Larger hosting services come with more comprehensive packages which include database support, content management, secure sockets layer (SSL) etc. It can further be classified into different types depending on the requirement of the client like shared hosting service, dedicated hosting service, reseller web hosting, managed hosting service, cloud hosting etc.
Now some stats and facts about website hosting
- The world’s first website was published on August 6, 1991 by British physicist Tim Berners-Lee.
- As of January 2017 there are 1,310,780,385 active websites.
- 2% of websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
- 3% of websites don’t use content management system.
- 50% of website today are hosted on Apache or Nginx.
- Conversion rates are dropping by 7% because of poor website performance.
Benefits of web hosting
- Web hosting packages comes with plenty of disk space and bandwidth to fulfill your business needs.
- Most of the web hosting service provider gives 24/7 support.
- A professional web hosting company’s gives its client total access to what they post and what it looks like.
- Web hosting companies provide their client with at least one domain name.
- With private domain, a website can create personalized emails and email campaigns to grow their business online.